Twarden

Sites that would greatly benefit from Ripple payment integration?

In no particular order here are some prime examples of sites that would benefit from the addition of a Ripple payment method:

• Patreon
  • Indiegogo
  • Charitywater.org
  • Wikipedia (as they already accept Bitcoin for their donation campaigns)

Please post more sites that you believe would greatly benefit from integrating Ripple payments. 

2 hours ago, kanaas said:

Twitter

I was at Twitter a couple weeks ago to participate in a market research session that they hosted. I'm not allowed to talk about what they're developing but I will say that I was totally disappointed. From what I can tell the social networks are focused on how to get you to waste more time on their site rather than with how to provide more value to the users. Many on Facebook are already frustrated by how vapid the content has become and I worry that Twitter, the best frictionless content curation platform in my opinion, is going in the same direction. 

Here's what I wanted to to propose to Twitter: 

Build "Twitter Elite" or something to that effect. A monthly subscription version of Twitter that allows you to bypass paywalls for written content if you view it in their environment. One of the issues with twitter is that I can't read half the articles that are linked to because of paywalls. While I'd pay for some of them, I can't afford to subscribe to all the content providers that produce content that I find worth reading. Moreover, I don't want to be bothered to make a decision about whether to pay $0.25 for the single articles that I would pay for. But, if I simply paid $10/month (or whatever) and was allowed to browse freely I'd gladly do so. Some fraction of the subscription fees would be divided among the sites that I visit based on page views and interaction times.

I read content from The Guardian, the NY Times, Al Jezeera etc. Why would the Ripple platform be a good choice for Twitter in this instance? Because it would allow their users to pay in their local currency as well as for Twitter to pay content providers in their local currency with ease.

53 minutes ago, cmbartley said:

I was at Twitter a couple weeks ago to participate in a market research session that they hosted. I'm not allowed to talk about what they're developing but I will say that I was totally disappointed. From what I can tell the social networks are focused on how to get you to waste more time on their site rather than with how to provide more value to the users. Many on Facebook are already frustrated by how vapid the content has become and I worry that Twitter, the best frictionless content curation platform in my opinion, is going in the same direction. 

Build "Twitter Elite" or something to that effect. A monthly subscription version of Twitter that allows you to bypass paywalls for written content if you view it in their environment. One of the issues with twitter is that I can't read half the articles that are linked to because of paywalls. While I'd pay for some of them, I can't afford to subscribe to all the content providers that produce content that I find worth reading. Moreover, I don't want to be bothered to make a decision about whether to pay $0.25 for the single articles that I would pay for. But, if I simply paid $10/month (or whatever) and was allowed to browse freely I'd gladly do so. Some fraction of the subscription fees would be divided among the sites that I visit based on page views and interaction times.

I read content from The Guardian, the NY Times, Al Jezeera etc. Why would the Ripple platform be a good choice for Twitter in this instance? Because it would allow their users to pay in their local currency as well as for Twitter to pay content providers in their local currency with ease.

Don't give out your cool ideas for free on a forum - see if you can build'em!

8 minutes ago, nikb said:

I would if I had any time, but there are more important agendas than tearing down payment walls to online media... like tearing down the paywalls guarding publicly funded scientific research. At the end of the day I'd rather see this content app built without my involvement than not built at all. And if whoever builds it isn't too greedy, it'd also be a win for the news outlets and investigative journalists who are in desperate need of the capital to keep our government in check (or to try to anyway).

Plutus is a new project built on Ethereum but using Bitcoin...  http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/plutus-combines-bitcoin-ethereum-push-contactless-payments-1542463http://plutus.it/ . This showcases how much can be done with a smart contract platform like Ethereum. If Ripple and Gatehub had smart contracts, then a Gatehub wallet could be used in connection with something like Plutus. Or, Gatehub could work like Paypal with their "send money to everyone with an email address" slogan. Gatehub could be the first of its kind where you do not need an additional bank account or credit card, and where you can have fiat and do payments to all regular bank accounts. It would also be possible to earn interest on deposits better than on banks within the same risk category when the underlying exchange to Ripple is becoming leveraged....

Edited by yandel

7 hours ago, nikb said:

8 hours ago, cmbartley said:

Some kind of iTunes for news.... VERY cool idea!

15 hours ago, Twarden said:

Wikipedia (as they already accept Bitcoin for their donation campaigns)

This is a good one.  I think all charities would benefit from additional payment methods. 

I think B2B sites for international trades would benefit from Ripple's use cases. 

I'd love to see some international retailers (Amazon, Ali Baba, and others) give it a go. 

12 hours ago, cmbartley said:

It wouldn't even have to be Twitter per say, paywalls exist everywhere now. Instead of having newspapers go at it alone it would be great if there was some form of subscription middle man that manages payments/ access to several content providers. It could be either a monthly fee or pay-as-you-read and it would allow you access via twitter, browser, app, etc. I could then go to a single site to check balance (top up wallet), manage subscriptions and settings.

I would hate to pay for a subscription on one platform and still be restricted when I go to another platform. T

4 hours ago, Hodor said:

This is a good one.  I think all charities would benefit from additional payment methods. 

I think B2B sites for international trades would benefit from Ripple's use cases. 

I'd love to see some international retailers (Amazon, Ali Baba, and others) give it a go. 

I admit that I created this thread because it has been about two weeks since I had asked for permission as an unaffiliated Ripple developer to approach these organizations and for advice on how specifically approach Wikipedia, Charitywater, and Indiegogo with a free integration offer.  If anyone has more ideas for charities, please add them to my pending hit list.  An if anyone at Ripple happens by this thread, please check the status of that ticket..?

I admit that I created this thread because it has been about two weeks since I had asked for permission as an unaffiliated Ripple developer to approach these organizations and for advice on how specifically approach Wikipedia, Charitywater, and Indiegogo with a free integration offer.  If anyone has more ideas for charities, please add them to my pending hit list.  An if anyone at Ripple happens by this thread, please check the status of that ticket..?

Many Charities would LOVE to have a means to transfer funds with low fees to their working grounds

Just now, kanaas said:

Many Charities would LOVE to have a means to transfer funds with low fees to their working grounds

Patreon is the only for profit site that I would love to work with besides integrating charities but I believe sites such as Patreon should also be a target.

1 hour ago, Twarden said:

advice on how specifically approach Wikipedia

I'm not sure that Wikipedia needs Ripple because there's such low volume through the Ripple network. How would it benefit them?

I would consider reaching out to givedirectly, they focus on low-value crossborder donations that go directly to donees in their local currency.

19 hours ago, cmbartley said:

because there's such low volume through the Ripple network

This is trending upwards and will continue to grow - it can't hurt to send Wikipedia an inquiry?  I can't see any charity saying no to more money if the ROI was greater than the investment.