Ripple Price Forecast: Garlinghouse Takes Shot at Ethereum, Touts XRP as Superior

6 minutes ago, QuantumOfSolace said:

I was kind of surprised when he tweeted that especially considering Ripple's previous position was that coexistence is essential and the good of anyone is the good of everyone.

I think it was because it highlights how Ripple has figured out how to scale and that is a real problem with ethereum. Especially because the thing slowing down ethereum has no actual use. 

7 minutes ago, corak said:

yeah and it just strikes me as odd. Of all the ridiculous things happening in crypto that he could talk about, did he just have to pick on ETH.

He technically gets a pass for it though, since if they are truly intent on bringing back Codius, ETH is competition now :)

There's talk of codius possibly coming back? :)

16 minutes ago, QuantumOfSolace said:

I was kind of surprised when he tweeted that especially considering Ripple's previous position was that coexistence is essential and the good of anyone is the good of everyone.

Not a fan. Ripple/XRP are outsiders enough as it is. It's no secret the technology will take time to scale. Ethereum has a roadmap. It will be bumpy enough on its own. Lead dev acknowledges the technology isn't near production ready. No need to kick em when they're down. 

1 minute ago, Xi195 said:

Not a fan. Ripple/XRP are outsiders enough as it is. It's no secret the technology will take time to scale. Ethereum has a roadmap. It will be bumpy enough on its own. Lead dev acknowledges the technology isn't near production ready. No need to kick em when they're down. 

Exactly.  For crying out loud, Ripple invited one of it's founders to Swell.  Its best to work in quiet confidence and not deride others.

According to Stefans Quora answers, I believe they are coming after Ethereum by potentially relaunching Codius. Seems they are seriously looking at options in this field for 2018.

Now that Interledger exists, we are revisiting the idea of building smart contracts. We just released a proof-of-concept for a new version of Codius that is built on Interledger. You can expect to see more on this in 2018.

https://www.quora.com/What-are-smart-contracts-and-how-does-Ripple-use-them

My take on this..

1. Scale is the buzz right now in the cryptosphere.  Bitcoin and Eth are showing some real scaling issues and Brad is capitalizing on those shortcomings by bringing some attention to Ripple as a scaling solution, while simultaneously pointing out flaws of the competition.  Also, the potential revival of Codius does seem to make Eth a competitor...though I'm not sure that's why he said what he said.

2. Total speculation, but Brad might be feeling a little confident right now...maybe posturing a bit before some announcement coming.  It's great to try and play nice, but Ripple is still a business.  Business is often hostile.  And usually you bark before you bite.  

I know they have a very valid point, but I hate these comments coming from Ripple employees on other cryptos. There are many things I like about bitcoin (store of wealth), Ethereum (when they do finally scale to act as a world computer, some of the projects coming out on this platform are amazing, allot will die), IOTA (Vaporware with some interesting ideas).

There are so many politics in this space already and Ripple is seen as a pariah. I don't see much value in adding to it. Just let it be, you can make comments about your tech that will obviously compete in the same avenues without criticising the other. Although they were not major criticisms we have seen Brad knock bitcoin and Ethereum, Stefan make a few negative comments towards bitcoin/ ethereum in his quora and Miguel with Iota. These comments may well and truly be justified and correct but right now that is knocking the top 3 cryptos by market cap and some very large communities.

You can co-exist and be success without alienating yourself.

9 hours ago, QuantumOfSolace said:

Exactly.  For crying out loud, Ripple invited one of it's founders to Swell.  Its best to work in quiet confidence and not deride others.

9 hours ago, Xi195 said:

C'mon guys, it's just some friendly "Competitor's Banter." However, he does have a point about how a silly app has the ability to cause this much clutter and congestion on Ether's network. What will happen when some of these smart contracts projects go-live??? I use to think that Ripple made a mistake yielding the smart contracts space to Ethereum and others, but now in hindsight, their decision was sound strategic brilliance on their part. Ripple knew that they had the most scalable and multifaceted digital asset in the space but knew that they needed a network just as dynamic and robust, hence xCurrent/RippleNet/ILP was developed. Now another piece of the puzzle, Ripple's 'Lazarus' smart contract platform, has been resurrected and will soon begin to challenge the likes of Ethereum, Hyperledger, and R3. The question I have is how will they carve out a niche for Codius in this crowded space?

Edited by RLP18PharmD