Sukrim

Time to increase the owner reserve?

8 minutes ago, kanaas said:

Those, 20XRP, FOREVER locked up, hurts enough for most I guess.

It clearly doesn't, or why would these graphs look so different? https://xrpcharts.ripple.com/#/accounts https://xrpcharts.ripple.com/#/metrics (especially "Payments" and "Exchanges"). The newly created accounts are not contributing, they are dead weight (because they don't represent actual users).

30 minutes ago, Professor Hantzen said:

I do agree something needs to be done.

About the proposed solution (locking additional funds for a while after funding an account etc.) - there are probably ways to circumvent that, but it would probably still be cheaper to just implement the proper behavior if you are forced to re-work your XRPL integration. I'll happily discuss this in a different thread.

1 minute ago, Sukrim said:

It clearly doesn't, or why would these graphs look so different? https://xrpcharts.ripple.com/#/accounts https://xrpcharts.ripple.com/#/metrics (especially "Payments" and "Exchanges"). The newly created accounts are not contributing, they are dead weight (because they don't represent actual users).

How do you know? This might be just people wanting to put some some savings in a wallet on a distributed ledger, not traders... But why is this dead weight???

35 minutes ago, kanaas said:

How do you know? This might be just people wanting to put some some savings in a wallet on a distributed ledger, not traders... But why is this dead weight???

Unfortunately there is no pretty graph showing the size of LedgerState, especially not with InnerNodes included... but this whole state has to be in memory on every validator out there. Adding a single temporary(!) entry to it locks up 5 XRP currently already, as a comparison. Meanwhile thousands of entries are spammed per day with no other benefit than not having to tell your users to use a destination tag and instead make them pay 20 XRP (which you might even get to keep if the owner reserve goes down! Free money right from your users!).

19 hours ago, Sukrim said:

You could run a forked network and set the fees as low/high as you want to. Why would there be a need to publish reward points to the whole world and store them forever?

Yeah. Or I could just store it on a centralised RDBMS, and keep them private and ditch the whole idea of being able to trade anything. ;)

Seriously, the measures you are proposing seem to me to be the antithesis of the whole benefit of what Ripple could offer.

-Matt

9 minutes ago, hammertoe said:

Yeah. Or I could just store it on a centralised RDBMS, and keep them private and ditch the whole idea of being able to trade anything. ;)

Seriously, the measures you are proposing seem to me to be the antithesis of the whole benefit of what Ripple could offer.

-Matt

Just because @Sukrim is running out of disk space ;) 

16 hours ago, kanaas said:

Just because @Sukrim is running out of disk space ;) 

No, because validators will run out of RAM

16 hours ago, hammertoe said:

-Matt

XRPL is ILP enabled, you could do payments via ILP easily and if you are handing out reward points, you are a trusted entity anyways that could run a connector too. What benefits do you imagine by recording every PoS transaction on a global public infrastructure?

7 minutes ago, Sukrim said:

No, because validators will run out of RAM

XRPL is ILP enabled, you could do payments via ILP easily and if you are handing out reward points, you are a trusted entity anyways that could run a connector too. What benefits do you imagine by recording every PoS transaction on a global public infrastructure?

So how would the architecture of that work? I run a cluster of rippled's running in private mode and then have an ILP connector to the public XRP Ledger?

-Matt

2 minutes ago, kanaas said:

Why this (AFAIK) seems to be only your concern and not Ripple's?

I can only speculate on that and I don't like speculation. I'd rather look at facts and it is a fact that the ledger is growing too fast right now and while the reserve has already significantly increased in USD terms, it is still the same in XRP terms and hasn't yet had the intended/documented effect.

6 minutes ago, Sukrim said:

it is a fact that the ledger is growing too fast right now 

a few thousands a day.... I wouldn't call this an "incredible" growth for a ledger that has the ambition to scale and to solve a "global" problem ....

25 minutes ago, kanaas said:

Why this (AFAIK) seems to be only your concern and not Ripple's?

For sure they won't come here and say "hey, we have a problem, if it goes on like this we are screwed...".

31 minutes ago, tulo said:

For sure they won't come here and say "hey, we have a problem, if it goes on like this we are screwed...".

AFAIK there wasn't one single issue on the network as far... So one thing is sure: there WAS not a problem. I'm confident that they know what they are doing to keep the network healthy and working fine. To be honest... I'm much more confident in the tech than in the business plan... If there have been hick-ups it was always on the latter but never, not even once, an issue large enough to even talk about - except the loss of the genesis ledger.

For my part this is just ... amazing... and all this on a new cutting edge tech, with a young and brand new team during all those 5 years... 24h/7days...

Edited by kanaas

1 minute ago, Sukrim said:

There were already multiple issues, including several this year. This is not the topic of this discussion though.

Not one to prevent the ledgers from going on with closing....