Desktop Wallet - Creating cold wallets

RafOlP

RafOIP's cold wallet works very nicely. I was using an old cold wallet client from the time of Rippletrade  from about 1.5 years ago, and it does not currently work using the same wallet file I used back then - no wallet access, but using RafOIP's/rippex's wallet app, I was able to use secret key and new passphrase (to be on safe side) to generate new wallet file and regain access to my cold wallet after long dormancy.

Anyway, it's a very nice functioning client. :):):)

2 hours ago, blueorchid said:

@RafOlP

I made several wallet in an offline computer, but only one wallet was success. I can't sign in in another wallet.

It said wrong password or wallet file. I'm sure it is the correct one.

Why this happen?

Sorry for my grammar,  English is not my language.

Please check the file location.

I never experienced this myself and I run a bunch of accounts on a daily basis, online, offline for many purposes and in MacOS, Linux and Windows.

The only issue with password I could reproduce is reported in the repo and it happens when deleting regular keys being in offline mode:

https://github.com/rippex/ripple-client-desktop/issues/9

As @enrique11 mentioned, a well stored secret key can save anyone from losing access to funds.

31 minutes ago, RafOlP said:

Please check the file location.

I never experienced this myself and I run a bunch of accounts on a daily basis, online, offline for many purposes and in MacOS, Linux and Windows.

The only issue with password I could reproduce is reported in the repo and it happens when deleting regular keys being in offline mode:

https://github.com/rippex/ripple-client-desktop/issues/9

As @enrique11 mentioned, a well stored secret key can save anyone from losing access to funds.

RafOIP, since he only has one wallet that is functioning, is it possible that everytime he created a wallet and saved "wallet" file he was automatically overwriting an existing wallet file?  That's the only reason I can think of beside file system location issue for only one functioning wallet, in which case the last created wallet is the only one that works.

Another possibility is that all the wallets were offline except the last one.

Edited by enrique11

11 hours ago, enrique11 said:

RafOIP, since he only has one wallet that is functioning, is it possible that everytime he created a wallet and saved "wallet" file he was automatically overwriting an existing wallet file?  That's the only reason I can think of beside file system location issue for only one functioning wallet, in which case the last created wallet is the only one that works.

Another possibility is that all the wallets were offline except the last one.

I can't tell. The way he/she wrote made me thing there are many wallet files, but maybe you are right - that would require overwriting the previous files and agreeing with the OS prompt to do so.

The error reported is wrong password, and this means only 4 possibilities:

1. Password is wrong and file location is right
  2. Password is right file and location is wrong
  3. Password is wrong and file location is wrong
  4. Password is right and file location is right but there is a bug

We have never received a report for option 4 except for the flow mentioned in github.

Nevertheless, if the secret key is safe, here is a guide to migrate/recover an existing ripple account (and other tutorials):

https://rippex.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/categories/200294024-Ripple-Wallet

10 hours ago, RafOlP said:

I can't tell. The way he/she wrote made me thing there are many wallet files, but maybe you are right - that would require overwriting the previous files and agreeing with the OS prompt to do so.

The error reported is wrong password, and this means only 4 possibilities:

1. Password is wrong and file location is right
  2. Password is right file and location is wrong
  3. Password is wrong and file location is wrong
  4. Password is right and file location is right but there is a bug

We have never received a report for option 4 except for the flow mentioned in github.

Nevertheless, if the secret key is safe, here is a guide to migrate/recover an existing ripple account (and other tutorials):

https://rippex.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/categories/200294024-Ripple-Wallet

I am a women, know nothing about code, but I love XRP and ripple community..:)

Here is what I did in an offline computer:

1. create new empty account (first)
save the file to a usb
enter password and confirm
follow prompts to save secret key and address.
exit out
test logging back in this works fine.

2. Create new empty account ( second ) save the file to a usb (same usb as first wallet but in other folder)

exit out
test logging back in, and it's not work.

3. Create third wallet.. and the same case as second wallet. Can not logging in.

So, there are several wallet file in the same usb in different folder.

The wallet that is work is the first wallet.

I use new computer (window 8, 64 bit)

Thank you @RafOlP and  @enrique11.

It's a weird issue you have, I don't know if you have funds on those wallets but as long as you saved the secret key for each wallet, you can always access the funds.

Edited by namini

21 hours ago, blueorchid said:

I am a women, know nothing about code, but I love XRP and ripple community..:)

Here is what I did in an offline computer:

1. create new empty account (first)
save the file to a usb
exit out
test logging back in this works fine.

2. Create new empty account ( second ) save the file to a usb (same usb as first wallet but in other folder)

exit out
test logging back in, and it's not work.

3. Create third wallet.. and the same case as second wallet. Can not logging in.

So, there are several wallet file in the same usb in different folder.

The wallet that is work is the first wallet.

I use new computer (window 8, 64 bit)

Thank you @RafOlP and  @enrique11.

Strange. Only thing I can think of is wrong path to wallet files, cap locks or other keyboard issues, corrupt USB drive, or wallets 2 and above were offline when you tried to log in.

You can always start over for the wallets that don't work: use your secret key and a passphrase to generate new wallet file and save that. Then once wallet file is created, make sure wallet is online before you try to gain access to it; otherwise, nothing happens if wallet is offline. Not that your computer is online, but that the wallet itself is given permission to have an online connection - that option can be enabled in the application by check marking appropriate box next to option.

Making sure your windows operating system is updated often and secured with anti-virus, anti-malware software, etc.before creating wallets - this will go a long way toward protecting your assets. 

I use Linux, but update system and update virus database and virus scan home directory everytime before using my wallets and exchanges, particularly if I have surfed the internet, clicking on links and going through my emails, and downloading files.

Edited by enrique11

I'm building a cryptocurrency trading laptop. There are many ways to protect your computer/laptop.  One way is to protect browser with extensions, in this case firefox, depends on browser you have, but for firefox on linux (maybe these extensions are there for windows too) if you plan to use your web browser for stuff other than trading - in my case I'll use browser for keeping up with cryptocurrency news, xrpchat, and other crypto-related stuff - it's likely a good idea to have the extensions mentioned in the following link: https://vikingvpn.com/cybersecurity-wiki/browser-security/guide-hardening-mozilla-firefox-for-privacy-and-security

Edited by enrique11

Hi All, I have been reading and following This forum. This is my first post. Hope anyone can help to clear my cloud. 

1. The public address which start w the r.....  will it still show on the explorer and show how many xrp you have?

2. If the wallet goes offline. Can someone still send me xrp by using the ripple address?

3.  If I have my ripple address registered into gatehub, can I still turn my secret key into cold wallet?

thanks. 

Welcome.

9 minutes ago, HDFatboy said:

1. The public address which start w the r.....  will it still show on the explorer and show how many xrp you have?

Yes.

10 minutes ago, HDFatboy said:

2. If the wallet goes offline. Can someone still send me xrp by using the ripple address?

Yes. The account is functional even when you are not online.

11 minutes ago, HDFatboy said:

3.  If I have my ripple address registered into gatehub, can I still turn my secret key into cold wallet?

Yes, see this:

https://rippex.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/206506816-Migrating-an-existing-account-to-the-desktop-wallet

Though, if the account was a Gatehub wallet, I wouldn't call it a cold wallet that is, by definition, an account that is not accessible on the internet. The benefit of a desktop wallet in this case is independence from the wallet's website - you don't need anyone but the ripple network to be up and running in order to trade, make payments or other transactions.

• 4 weeks later...

Buy a VPS at a hosting provider, install centos 7 with auto update.

Allow only logon with 256 bit fingerprint file(Compressed with winrar + password) + mac adress.

Use the VPS firewall to deny any 0.0.0.0 

Put it offline.

So to break in your wallet you need the hack Cloud provider, then the winrar password, Duplicate MAC adress and after that you will be a few years away tho.

Also Point to point VPN with mikrotik is very good, you'll easily could use country-MACadress-ipv6 filtering.

• karlos pinned this topic