Konan45

Coinbase releases guidance for new GDAX listings

I cherry-picked a few great replies to Brian Armstrong's initial short-sighted tweet, all of which went unanswered by him. It seems like it must be a personal grudge if he can't be persuaded by the simple truths in those replies.

Edited by Tull
file size

3 hours ago, gbrgba said:

That open letter is fascinating. Have you been converting BTC to BCH to prepare? 

Everybody who owned BTC before the fork was given an equal amount of BCH. I am rooting for BCH, but I'm not a gambler. I'm keeping them both.

1 hour ago, Tull said:

I cherry-picked a few great replies to Brian Armstrong's initial short-sighted tweet, all of which went unanswered by him. It seems like it must be a personal grudge if he can't be persuaded by the simple truths in those replies.

Brian and Chris (Larsen) attended a few events together in 2014. Somebody should check YouTube to see if any of the panels were recorded. Maybe Chris humiliated Brian at some point. That would be a fun discovery!

@nikb

Ok, I will give up on this line of pursuit. But I do not believe for a minute that a technology in pursuit of western banking adoption, would not have a facility to disadvantage either specific countries or specific banks.

This is just naive..

What is of interest to me, is the technique that Ripple would chose to adopt.

--

For those that are interested in this topic. I would think that there are TWO versions of the RippleD software. They can co-exist but more importantly the proprietary version will have functionality that enable bypass of the open source public version. If you look closely at the RippleD releases you will see that there have been very few code changes since 2014. I have not looked yet, at the TYPE of code changes.

--

NikB is an controversial area, one which he can not talk about, and can not win.

The reason that 'technique' that Ripple choses to block :

• countries, like say, Russia
  • other banks, like say, Lehman

Will likely be used to block:

• dissent groups, like say Wikileaks

--

By choosing a closed source path AND focusing on nation state digital currencies Ripple has placed itself in a difficult spot in the crypto currency space. I would re-iterate that it makes no sense for Ripple to attempt to replace Swift as it is a dying business model. What is left is Bitcoin and nation state digital currencies. So I am betting Ripple is working on the latter.

--

Ok, for the time being, I will let this aspect die.

:-)

@Max Entropy

I have been doing some reading on your posts in this topic.
And to be honest it is over the Moon for me.

But I am interested in what it is that your are saying. Because you have been around here for a while. Since 2016.
I guess that you are a believer in Ripple and XRP, otherwise, you would not still be posting.

So in lay man terms or like an executive summary, if possible what are you talking about?
Because it seems that you are playing the devils advocate, or something similar.

Or am I just to dumb to get the message?
Might be so, but give it a try.
It would be interesting to have a simple read of what you are aiming to communicate.

Edited by zenkert

48 minutes ago, Max Entropy said:

The reason that 'technique' that Ripple choses to block :

• countries, like say, Russia
  • other banks, like say, Lehman

Will likely be used to block:

• dissent groups, like say Wikileaks

--

By choosing a closed source path AND focusing on nation state digital currencies Ripple has placed itself in a difficult spot in the crypto currency space. I would re-iterate that it makes no sense for Ripple to attempt to replace Swift as it is a dying business model. What is left is Bitcoin and nation state digital currencies. So I am betting Ripple is working on the latter.

--

Ok, for the time being, I will let this aspect die.

:-)

Ripple can’t block anyone from using an open network. Do you think Ripple can block Russia from using Bitcoin? 

SWIFT is a one-trick pony -centralized messaging with more backdoors than anyone can count. 

Messaging is just one line item that Ripple software offers. And it’s decentralized. There’s no honey pot of information attracting “hackers.” 

2 hours ago, Max Entropy said:

@nikb

Ok, I will give up on this line of pursuit. But I do not believe for a minute that a technology in pursuit of western banking adoption, would not have a facility to disadvantage either specific countries or specific banks.

This is just naive..

What is of interest to me, is the technique that Ripple would chose to adopt.

--

For those that are interested in this topic. I would think that there are TWO versions of the RippleD software. They can co-exist but more importantly the proprietary version will have functionality that enable bypass of the open source public version. If you look closely at the RippleD releases you will see that there have been very few code changes since 2014. I have not looked yet, at the TYPE of code changes.

--

NikB is an controversial area, one which he can not talk about, and can not win.

Controversial area I can’t talk about?

Hmm. That’s weird. I just talked about. Here, let me do it some more:

The rippled code is public; there is no hidden functionality, and there is no facility or mechanism built into the protocol to disadvantage specific accounts, individuals or countries.

You posit the existence of some other software that interoperates with rippled but has such features. 

No such code exists, and as one of the primary developers of the rippled software, I don’t think it’d possible to write such software. And if someone more imaginative did write such software, how could he force anyone to use it?

What now? Will you quip that I didn’t talk, merely typed? Perhaps I can record the above section and post the recording?

Oh, and lest I forget:

As for the code changes that have been made since 2014... you know, the ones you say there are “very few” of, the most casual of reviews would show that a number of them to be massive. New features, performance and security improvements and major refactorings to improve the codebase...