Hammers

Jo Lang from IBM on why XLM over XRP

3 hours ago, Trickery said:

She didn't really explain why XLM over XRP with any proper understanding, she talked about transparency as if XRP is not transparent???

I disagree and think there is merit to her argument, which Ripple has hinted at plans to resolve, but do not believe this is the actual reason IBM chose Stellar for this project.

Ripple, while decentralized in a sense, is still controlled by Ripple until outside organizations take up the majority position in the unique node/validator list. Currently these are all controlled by Ripple.

I am hopeful that these unique nodes will be run by organizations like the IMF and BIS. That being said, any collection of reputable organizations that people trust would work. MIT, universities, etc.

If these nodes are controlled by multi-national for-profit companies instead, Time will tell how this plays out. Hopefully we will have a solid sense of who will control these nodes when the escrow occurs within the next 8 weeks.

All that being said, I assume IBM chose Stellar because they were given a very large number of lumen options or lumens themselves as part of the deal. After all, the Stellar Foundation is not a known and trusted international financial foundation or non-profit. They are a small non-profit with limited track record.

3 hours ago, Tehol_Beddict said:

All that being said, I assume IBM chose Stellar because they were given a very large number of lumen options or lumens themselves as part of the deal. After all, the Stellar Foundation is not a known and trusted international financial foundation or non-profit. They are a small non-profit with limited track record.

Is that really how non-profits are supposed to work? And who knows who holds lumens, beyond what the SDF holds.

a few things strike me here

first off, clearly dirty tactics are afoot, and tbh ripple has never defended itself too vocally, but they might need to here

second, looks like R3 are involved, so they're perhaps smarting from the court case?

if they snatch up stellar, i'll massively diversify my xrp holdings because it WILL be a threat for cross-border

ripple need to very clearly state the facts and combat the FUD this time and not just act high and mighty

also, as david @JoelKatz points out the whole charity status is supremely fishy, have they been audited/vetted?

in this space, i thought there was extreme compliance/regulatory/legal... and yet stellar seem to float on by... "strange"

IBM appear to be way behind the curve on blockchain development/adoption/implementation so they've jumped into bed with Stellar and announced this rancid little partnership on the back of the hype surrounding SWELL... Quite an embarrassing attempt to remain somewhat salient during a critical moment in the evolution of this particular space, in my humble opinion. They've demonstrated a relative weakness in market position through the desperate timing of their initial announcement. I cannot wait until Stellar gets audited; it'll be an absolute omnishambles.

There's also a hilarious irony in the fact that Stellar had intended to do exactly what Ripple has announced it's doing with Mojaloop with the main distinction being that Ripple (with the backing of the Gates Foundation) are engaged pragmatically in charitable pursuits, rather than simply being morally pompous. 

26 minutes ago, zerpdigger said:

second, looks like R3 are involved, so they're perhaps smarting from the court case?

if they snatch up stellar, i'll massively diversify my xrp holdings because it WILL be a threat for cross-border

Don't forget SBI currently is the largest shareholder of R3. Stellar/R3 partnership seems extremely unlikely

I love a good quote from the ever inconspicuous "Blockchain pundits from Santander", shared by Jesse Lund, who had the real-good-smarts to start working with Stellar.

I'll be more concerned when IBM start championing their own pioneering technologies as opposed to just having a hardon for Ripple.

Again, smacks of desperation. Who ever does PR for IBM needs to put a leash on Lund. 

She just said, "XRP from an ownership standpoint is opaque." She also said they didn't use Bitcoin because it's mined in China and their clients aren't in China. How is the mining location related to use as a settlement asset? She didn't point out the settlement time as the real reason not to use BTC. She also failed to indicate why lumens are more transparent than XRP.

9 minutes ago, default said:

"Ripple is useless as no one is on it" They're all on Stellar. for sure:  https://stellarchain.io/

Is this for real? 0 to 1 transactions, hilarious. Makes you wonder if R3 paid IBM to pretend to use Stellar. Surely nobody with any real business acumen is ever going to use it.

5 hours ago, JoelKatz said:

Is that really how non-profits are supposed to work? And who knows who holds lumens, beyond what the SDF holds.

I assume this is sarcastic and/or critical of non-profits in general?

Yes. Most of them, actually. They’re usually more about perception and taxes than charity/purpose. Many are a vehicle to promote financial returns one way or another.

I notice more fear with the red candles today or not ?? It's a good trigger for critical views I think, and we have to keep that. At the same time, if there would be a coin or company that has their technology, strategy, partnerships, etc. better rolled out than Ripple has, I would switch to them. But I just don't see one. Of course I see that somehow markets don't behave yet exactly in line with this, but I guess I can only go long on rational facts. Stellar, as well as so many others out there, have so much hurdles to take which Ripple has already overcome. Ripple only has to keep their strategy focussed and up to date and hodl on to it. And as I think they do, I will do the same..

15 hours ago, Tehol_Beddict said:

I disagree and think there is merit to her argument, which Ripple has hinted at plans to resolve, but do not believe this is the actual reason IBM chose Stellar for this project.

Ripple, while decentralized in a sense, is still controlled by Ripple until outside organizations take up the majority position in the unique node/validator list. Currently these are all controlled by Ripple.

Doesn't Stellar suffer from the same issue?  

Edited by Apollo