dreventures

My concluding thoughts on Swell

9 minutes ago, Max Entropy said:

The China News Daily announced several days ago, that China would introduce a new digital currency system

My understanding is that with the term "digital currency" they mean a type of cryptocurrency (using blockchain), but they are reluctant to use the term "crypto". Also, today's fiat currencies are digital as well (Central banks can create and destroy money with a keystroke).

I think that we are in the early stages to this rout, where National authorities or large institutions will explore (and adopt?) this cryptocurrency technology:

https://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/putins-orders-russia-will-national-cryptocurrency-cryptoruble/

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/27/japanese-banks-cryptocurrency-j-coin.html

18 hours ago, Javim777 said:

Every future speculation that comes from Ripple team will be dismissed.

The marketing team forward statement satisfies my intelligence.

Can anyone relate which other digital asset invests 300 million dollars to support token adoption?

How can the marketing team be responsible for the choice not to present that significant news at Swell?

5 minutes ago, 7Sol said:

Issuing a token bears in my book some responsibility.

Ripple is just a user of XRP, not an issuer. Ripple received its XRP in exchange for stock and other consideration. XRP existed before Ripple, the company, did.

Those who issued the token (Arthur, Chris, and Jed) created Ripple. If that doesn't count as discharging that responsibility, I don't know what does. Ripple is now controlled by its Board of Directors.

Given the time at which this happened and the uncertain legal framework at the time, this was pretty much the only way to do things.

16 hours ago, Amigo said:

ALL crypto-currencies are bubbles until they reach their actual use-case

I view all equities and / or equity related securities pricing in future expectation.

When a firm meets analyst expectation price tend to go down.

The all point of investing, for me, is to position myself before the fact / confirmed use-case.

16 hours ago, Amigo said:

turning XRP into a stable coin which is better for their use-case

Interventionism vs. free market.

I read the game plan was for market actors, possibly even you, being the party handling XRP volatility risk for the banks.

XRP value is irrelevant to a bank as long as the currency risk is hedged through market participants.

14 hours ago, CryptoLearner said:

What I often wonder --- is it POSSIBLE that a bunch of banks come onboard, start using XRP, but yet the price doesnt move because what really moves the price moreso are people buying or selling on these exchanges?

In the beginning of course that would be the case imo

15 hours ago, Ylod said:

Ripple should not make PR publicity stunt type of hype claims to general public

I see a 300 million dollars incentive program as a significant, yet undersold, news.

Who's got that kind of money in crypto to incentivize its own adoption?

My question relates to the funds themselves. Actual fiat or XRP give away?

28 minutes ago, JoelKatz said:

uncertain legal framework

I avoid and I support avoiding relating those terms to responsibility.

I connote responsibility to its moral acceptation.

Any claim that would tend to distance XRP majority owners, issuers or otherwise from responsibility can find parties able to connote quoted terms with meaning all parties can benefit avoid.

1 hour ago, Max Entropy said:

@Sebastian

The China News Daily announced several days ago, that China would introduce a new digital currency system as a function their fiat system. I would think that this is a good fit for Ripple, as it not really a crypto.

i do not have well informed thoughts on digital representation of fiat systems yet, but this looks like a transitional route to the future which would not affect the status quo.

If you have seen the China article I would be interested in anyone's thoughts.

http://usa.chinadaily.com.cn/business/2017-10/14/content_33236132.htm

Max, I am in the same boat as you.  I do not know enough on how it would work.  In addition, I think it may be some time before many countries start issuing currency in such a manner. 

The CLS group seems confident a virtual bridge currency will not be needed which would explain the comments made by the IBM representative.  But I think they could be intentionally making misleading statements as they are behind the curve in this regard.  And I wonder how fast settlement would be without one.  Would it be 5 second, 10 seconds, 2 minutes, etc.?  If Ripple can offer real-time settlement, and somebody like CLS offers 5 minutes (presuming they do not use XRP, XML, etc.), will that be fast enough?  If real time settlement becomes the standard, I think the answer may be no.

1 hour ago, JoelKatz said:

Ripple is just a user of XRP, not an issuer. Ripple received its XRP in exchange for stock and other consideration. XRP existed before Ripple, the company, did.

Those who issued the token (Arthur, Chris, and Jed) created Ripple. If that doesn't count as discharging that responsibility, I don't know what does. Ripple is now controlled by its Board of Directors.

Given the time at which this happened and the uncertain legal framework at the time, this was pretty much the only way to do things.

My original quoted statement was that Ripple don’t owe us anything in formal sense.  My post continued by stating that not owing anything in formal sense doesn’t mean that someone can’t take responsibility to care of someone elses interest. Especially when both parties have a common interest and one of the parties, namely Ripple, has far more ( in fact massive)  influence than the other partie regarding that common interest. With power and influence comes responsibility. 

I don’t see Ripple just as a user of XRP and Ripple isn’t discharged of all responsibilty in my opinion. Only in the formal sense. 

All this to hodlers who keep repeating on this forum that “Ripple doesn’t owe us investors anything” .  

52 minutes ago, Ripple-Stiltskin said:

not owing anything in formal sense

I can be quite direct on that point.

From the moment CEO makes forward looking statements on XRP, during Swell to be specific, Ripple responsibility is engaged.

Ripple CEO stated

"I am focused on the price of XRP over three years and five years"

"if we continue to drive the success we are driving, we are going to drive a massive demand for XRP"

I invest in XRP based on the understanding Ripple is marketing XRP to its customers.

I advocate Ripple embracing XRP as key adoption driver and suggest banks, hedge funds, financial institutions need to identify a face and a company standing firm behind the token.

I advocate Ripple's relationship to XRP remain cast in gold and welcome forward looking statements on the matter.

Edited by 7Sol

11 minutes ago, 7Sol said:

I can be quite direct on that point.

From the moment CEO makes forward looking statements on XRP, during Swell to be specific, Ripple responsibility is engaged.

Ripple CEO stated

"I am focused on the price of XRP over three years and five years"

"if we continue to drive the success we are driving, we are going to drive a massive demand for XRP"

I invest in XRP based on the understanding Ripple is marketing XRP to its customers.

I advocate Ripple embracing XRP as key adoption driver and suggest banks, hedge funds, financial institutions need to identify a face and a company standing firm behind the token.

I advocate Ripple's relationship to XRP remain cast in gold and welcome forward looking statements on the matter.

I agree when talking about responsibility, although maybe not yet in a formal, legal sense. But I’m not a lawyer.

Now when they write things like this quote in the Q3 report it becomes more and more an IOU...

we’ll announce additional xRapid partnerships, an innovative approach to using XRP to further Ripple Network adoption, and new ways XRP will drive broad development of the digital asset space."