Everyone is missing the big picture - Focus of SWELL is on ILP and not XRP!!!

Guest1

We need to remember that Ripple has developed ILP, which is the HTTP of currency movement. All blockchain/crypto will benefit from having this system in place. If you think about it, there would be no need for online payment (such as Paypal) if there were no on line shopping (such as Amazon). XRP is the Paypal to the clearly defined need of online cross-border (or in this case), cross blockchain flows. HTTP has to be in place for Paypal/Amazon to function. The chickens and eggs have to evolve together, but HTTP/ILP is the most important part. 

As we have all found from our own foray into the crypto-sphere, education is the most vital component towards adoption. This is the phase we are in right now, and some people are Hodor (which I would compare to the early adopters/Ripple-XRP clients), and some people are just getting acquainted with the possibilities. IMO the pace is already picking up as banks and FIs are seeing the promise and IMO, the inevitability of this technology.

Down to .20 again? Lol! So much price movement just from hype and disappointment, while the actual position of Ripple/xrp hasn’t changed at all. No, if anything, it’s improved. 

And what about the main driver of xrp price: the rise of Cryptocurrency as a whole? Last time I checked growth is still off the charts.

9 hours ago, LordVetinari said:

Ok, so what do you expect the value of xrp be today if no one is using it for 2-3 more years? Agree or disagree but honestly, this is how some folks view the situation. 

Every other Crypto is in the same boat. Crypto value is fundamentally speculative right now. The difference is that XRP actually has a maximally efficient use case for a HUGE market and Ripple doesn't spin a load of BS about XRP being used for things it's not. IMO, XRP is by far the closest crypto to delivering on a real use case. 

BTC has no real use case (It's a terrible store of value because of volatility and can't scale for payments.)

I have not seen one use case ETH is the ideal solution for... and the idea of sticking everything on one ledger when all ledger become interoperable through ILP is misguided, to say the least. Right now ETH's value is based on ICO's which are going to be hit hard by regulation... and ETH isn't even a great platform for issuing tokens.Fundamentally, the ICO market is about trying to sidestep securities regulations, which is not sustainable once the SCC and other agencies start cracking down. 

Clearly, LTC, BTC Cach, ETC have the same issues as BCT or ETH with the additional problem of lack of volume. The privacy coins also lack utility in an ILP world because you can simply interface to a public network through an ILP connected private network to achieve privacy. 

So, what coin at this point is less than three years away from implementing an actual real-world use case anywhere close to the size of XRP's?

8 hours ago, Amigo said:

I didn't dig into the privacy options enough yet, but wasn't there something called pathshuffle to be implemented on the RCL taking care of that?

You don't need to implement pathsuffel at the provincial level.  There is really no reason to with ILP though. Just use ILP to rout payments through exchanges or other networks. 

8 minutes ago, Apollo said:

BTC has no real use case (It's a terrible store of value because of volatility and can't scale for payments.)

I have not seen one use case ETH is the ideal solution for... and the idea of sticking everything on one ledger when all ledger become interoperable through ILP is misguided, to say the least. Right now ETH's value is based on ICO's which are going to be hit hard by regulation...

@Apollo cool, tell that to those investors who have made XXXX fold on their investments into either ETH or BTC.

Not sure it is about a real use case. It's rather about making return on your investment. 

Long term XRP hodler. Yet. 

2 minutes ago, WillGetThere said:

@Apollo cool, tell that to those investors who have made XXXX fold on their investments into either ETH or BTC.

Not sure it is about a real use case. It's rather about making return on your investment. 

Long term XRP hodler. Yet. 

When people are excited about gains from systems which have no real-world utility... What do you call that? Because good investment are not the words which come to mind. 

I think most are missing the obvious big mega picture- that SWELL was the message.

Not many new technologies and companies can throw together a conference, attract (or afford) big name speakers, wine and dine people used to it (tough to impress) at the same time and location as another major event tailoring to the same crowd. All of this while also attending the other conference...

The only comparison I can think of is a start up trying to get into the Consumer Electronics Show and somehow distinguish themselves from the likes of Google, Telsa, Samsung, etc. and then going across the street and starting their own mini show and wooing people out of the main event to theirs. Any startup that could even conceive and pull that off would be a major news item.

I bet there are a lot of Ripple employees cashing in vacation time after this- they must be exhausted.

19 minutes ago, Apollo said:

systems which have no real-world utility

@Apollo whether these systems have or do not have a real-world utility is still remain to be seen. No real-world utility is just your assumption, nothing else.

Please bear in mind that despite no clear answer as per real-world utility investors have and are making money by investing into given systems.

Imagine their enthusiasm when it turns out any of the systems they have invested in proves to have a real-world utility...

Edited by WillGetThere

18 minutes ago, WillGetThere said:

@Apollo whether these systems have or do not have a real-world utility is still remain to be seen. No real-world utility is just your assumption, nothing else.

Please bear in mind that despite no clear answer as per real-world utility investors have and are making money by investing into given systems.

Imagine their enthusiasm when it turns out any of the systems they have invested in proves to have a real-world utility...

Yeah and ponzi/pyramid schemes made a lot of people a lot of money as well. Unless you blanket statement "making money" as a real world use case then there are yet to be any real-world utility.... Is there potential in the future? Yes, absolutely, but those who actually achieve it will be the ones that are still here and relevant in the future.

Not even BTC is safe, as better tech could easily come along and replace an old blockchain that can't scale, is expensive to use, and is at the mercy of large mining pools which at this time are unregulated. Tech that acts as both a store of value and has a real use case (Hmm I can think of a coin that fits this bill) could easily replace BTC in the long run. First movers aren't always around in the end and giants fall regularly.... AOL, Netscape, MySpace, and AltaVista are a few that come to mind....

Imagine their enthusiasm when the lack of real world use case/adoption leads to the death of many of these current coins.... because that will almost undoubtedly happen to many.

Thanks for the thought provoking debate :drinks:

Edited by Logchain

8 minutes ago, WillGetThere said:

Back in the day, people made a lot of money investing in a certain type of flower as well. It didn't end well. People have made a ton of money on paper... at some point, actual utility is going to matter. Bubbles never last forever. 

And the lack of utility is not an assumption, it's a conclusion from looking into these systems. I could very well be wrong. However, I have been trying to find a strong use case for ETH for years... and mostly what I get in response is handwaving. "ETH can do anything." Yes, but people don't use butter knives to cut down trees... solutions need to be efficient. What problem does ETH or BTC for that mater solve that justifies their price?

6 minutes ago, Void-Induction said:

Anyone know what Miguel Vias was talking about when he mentions a report (Q3?) coming out on Tuesday at the end of the video with Credit Suisse..

Ripple puts out quarterly reports for XRP. The Q3 report comes out soon. 

@Logchain @Apollo

Let's not compare ETH to ponzi scheme, flower or paper please.

XRP investors are most inteligent ones? ETH investors/backers/supporters have no clue of what real-world use case is? All those corporations which back ETH have made zero analysis and back the system with no real-world use case, right?

Let me put it this way - i have a friend of mine who has been in crypto space from around 2011. Very intelligent guy, he has educated me about BTC first, later ETH. I was stupid enough to not invest as much as he had in either of given coins. He sold all his positions in BTC about half year after he had learnt about ETH. He's been very negative about BTC since  about 2015 due to outdated technology.

This guy has been in ETH since USD .1 per coin...! Now its USD 300 circa... He's made a fortune as his "never invest more than you can afford to lose" amount was impressive. He has invested in XRP as well. 

So to make long story short - crypto space is wild wild west. No real-world use case YET. Intelligent investor is the one who picks right investment target and makes better return on investment.

ILP uses XRP as liquidity token. Stop freaking out and selling your XRP! The price will go up and everybody selling the bottom will miss the boat. Adrian Hope-Bailie even states in this interview that he is bullish on the future price of XRP.        ILP uses XRP as a liquidity token. Here is the interview. Pass it on if you like.