Ripple-Stiltskin

Swanky Swift event sweats as heat applied by cooler Swell

I love the anti-Jed vibe of the article.  The unprofessional piece of s**t deserves nothing less

“This whole industry ******* sucks and this little get-together you guys have here is like a private boys’ club and it’s a bunch of jackasses and jerks and ******* gangsters and crooks who’ve ******* stolen everything.” Steve Miller

:focus:

7 minutes ago, FunkyGiraffe said:

“This whole industry ******* sucks and this little get-together you guys have here is like a private boys’ club and it’s a bunch of jackasses and jerks and ******* gangsters and crooks who’ve ******* stolen everything.” Steve Miller

:focus:

Note, this quote was directed towards swift and sibos

Nice article with both well formulated background as an impression at the actual events.

Waiting for each board member was an individual Sibos-branded Mercedes S550, and each [Swift] board member was assigned an individual chaperone who was holding one of those embarrassing paddles indicating the name of the important person whose chariot awaits.

And some observations on the IBM-Stellar deal:

The IBM-Stellar deal raised some eyebrows because of the erratic past behavior of Stellar’s founder, Jed McCaleb, who was also the founder of Mt Gox, which turned into bitcoin’s biggest ever fraud, and then co-founded Ripple but was expelled by the board for installing his girlfriend as an executive with no clear portfolio.

“It has tech flaws and it has market issues. The tech flaws are that Stellar is hopelessly centralized. They are completely centralized without a plan to decentralize. Worse, their method of adding validators [the mechanism that “unmined currencies” like XRP and XLM use to preserve the integrity of their blockchains] prevents new validators from joining in a meaningful way. New validators become simply trusted repeaters of what Jed says rather than independent validators. In short, they’re effectively stuck as a centralized currency unless they change their fundamental software. So they’ve had zero closed ledgers as a decentralized system, [which means it is] untested. Second, no progress has been made in scaling their blockchain.”

wow --

As for the “market issues,” the same cryptographer said, referring to an issue covered at length in the the Observer in February 2015, “Stellar, still has not received its non-profit status—unlikely they ever will given the profit insiders are making on lumens. [Lumens is another name for XLM tokens] Secondly, Poloniex is basically their only exchange. This defeats the purpose of using a crypto to reduce nostros—through exchange. Third, their currency give-always have resulted in Stellar owning more currency. Plus, they have inflation, which only helps Stellar.”

finally someone in the press sees this for what it is

38 minutes ago, lucky said:

"Thanks @Ripple-Stiltskin! Reading this made me much more comfortable!'

So hopefully, after market has recovered from the shock that it was a small venue with old junk from @JoelKatz attic on display :newblush:, we can see some swelling this week!

I don't know, Lucky...a part of me wonders if the décor wasn't carefully planned to look as it did.  Complete juxtapositioning to Sibos' posh set up with the Mercedes and Ritz Carlton and $39 scallops.  Stroke of genius if you ask me...then again, we are talking about Ripple's PR wing

40 minutes ago, mm421wsp said:

I don't know, Lucky...a part of me wonders if the décor wasn't carefully planned to look as it did.  Complete juxtapositioning to Sibos' posh set up with the Mercedes and Ritz Carlton and $39 scallops.  Stroke of genius if you ask me...then again, we are talking about Ripple's PR wing

Perhaps you're right. My strong opinion on things isn't always right. Anyway, on next Ripple event I'd like to see David Schwarz walking and talking on a big stage. He's our Vitalik. Let him, Stefan Thomas and Evan Schwartz explain the fundamentals of Ripple and Interledger. That's massively interesting, even to bankers.

Edited by lucky

Yep kinda Steve Jobs Style simple stylish and fancy

2 hours ago, lucky said:

Perhaps you're right. My strong opinion on things isn't always right. Anyway, on next Ripple event I'd like to see David Schwarz walking and talking on a big stage. He's our Vitalik. Let him, Stefan Thomas and Evan Schwartz explain the fundamentals of Ripple and Interledger. That's massively interesting, even to bankers.

No question about it!!  Wonder if @JoelKatz is the anonymous cryptographer mentioned in article?

5 hours ago, Dsimmo said:

Note, this quote was directed towards swift and sibos

To be fair, it was actually a quote from the band's Rock N Roll Hall of Fame induction in 2016.  The writer was simply saying that it could be applied as well to the SWIFT crowd.  Love it!