Xrphunter

Governments are right to regulate ICOs, says the owner of the third-largest cryptocurrency

I would be interested in having your opinion on the article below.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/news-blog/2017/oct/09/bitcoin-price-bubble-government-cryptocurrency  

If the Bitcoin bubble were to burst, and the very notion of cryptocurrencies discredited as a result, is there a danger that the Ripple baby would be thrown out with the bathwater?

Forgive me, but i am a newbie, not only to investing in xrp but also this marvellously informative site, and so if my question seems naïve, please feel free to shoot me down in flames.

51 minutes ago, emsemporium said:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/news-blog/2017/oct/09/bitcoin-price-bubble-government-cryptocurrency  

If the Bitcoin bubble were to burst, and the very notion of cryptocurrencies discredited as a result, is there a danger that the Ripple baby would be thrown out with the bathwater?

Forgive me, but i am a newbie, not only to investing in xrp but also this marvellously informative site, and so if my question seems naïve, please feel free to shoot me down in flames.

I think it will affect a little but i know the team will have a plan.

54 minutes ago, emsemporium said:

I think it depends on the timing of such event.

I believe that currently, it would represent a significant issue for a few reasons (Ripple funding being dependent on XRP to certain extent, volatility driving potential customers away, incentivization of FIs with XRP being less effective, etc.).

I also believe, however, that once Ripple progresses further and hopefully decouples from BTC and also gets some distance from cryptocurrencies as such, it may withstand eventual BTC crush.

If it makes any sense...

58 minutes ago, emsemporium said:

My opinion as a newbie too, if the bubble had to burst, which I think it will, then just one crypto, XRP, would survive. Why? Because it is so different to all the others. 

The Bitcoin bubble has turned itself to be as big as the Dutch tulip bubble in history, or even bigger, and when it burst( nobody knows when), it will be like a biggest earthquake ever happened, all altcoins will inevitably be affected, most of them would probably die, but xrp will be the one which rise up among the ashes afterwards. :lol:

3 minutes ago, beyond73 said:

The Bitcoin bubble has turned itself to be as big as the Dutch tulip bubble in history, or even bigger, and when it burst( nobody knows when), it will be like a biggest earthquake ever happened, all altcoins will inevitably be affected, most of them would probably die, but xrp will be the one which rise up among the ashes afterwards. :lol:

zero use case, it's a pure speculation bubble, whole thing based on snake oil methods of attracting fresh money to make the previous speculators rich(er)

satoshi's original vision died long ago

now they have "forks" which are really just more extremely ethically dubious ways of getting speculators even more money

so this is the future of bitcoin, isn't it great?! it sucks all the money out of real projects like ripple, keeps splitting into more entirely useless forks, and the longer it goes on the further it gets away from the the original vision of p2p money you could actually use to buy coffee and milk

If XRP is being used in the real world on a daily basis when the bubble burst happens, is it possible that XRP gets flooded with people trying to get out of BTC and other alts and trying to get into XRP? XRP may be seen as the safe or stable currency for people who dont want to cash out to fiat?

18 hours ago, bachmanity said:

If XRP is being used in the real world on a daily basis when the bubble burst happens, is it possible that XRP gets flooded with people trying to get out of BTC and other alts and trying to get into XRP? XRP may be seen as the safe or stable currency for people who dont want to cash out to fiat?

Unfortunately, as of now, we're all riding the BTC train in that it will affect every crypto (XRP included) if something like a total crash were to happen. The aim of SWELL and other conferences is 1) to get industry leaders together/form new partnerships etc etc but 2) to educate people and attempt to decouple it from BTC. I'm not telling y'all anything you don't know but XRP is very different from BTC. Where people are continually screwing up is that they assume that crypto success is mutually exclusive. i.e. If BTC does well, XRP can't etc. Not true. They are wildly different use cases. Thats like saying if gold exists then banks and fiat can't. What can we do about it? @Hodor has said it multiple times... spread the word. Educate your friends, family, and other crypto enthusiasts about XRP. 

-Ole Burt