TiffanyHayden

Working on a new hardware wallet for XRP

Tiff apart from the capacity to transact easily and safely even in untrustworthy pcs I don't see the need for a hardware wallet at all.

Especially since you end up having to write down the recovery seed and then store that exactly like you would with  a paper wallet.

But given that there is plenty of demand for these things...  (mainly based on a misunderstanding of what the devices actually are and what they do)...   and that you are planing on creating one....

I think you should work on the recovery seed side of things...  I don't have a solution, but recording and safely storing the recovery seed seems like a lot of trouble...  if you can conceive of anything better that would then put you ahead of the competition I think.  ( but maybe that's is like asking for a teleportation booth....  easy to say but can't be done).   :) 

4 minutes ago, Tinyaccount said:

I think you should work on the recovery seed side of things...  I don't have a solution, but recording and safely storing the recovery seed seems like a lot of trouble...  if you can conceive of anything better that would then put you ahead of the competition I think.  ( but maybe that's is like asking for a teleportation booth....  easy to say but can't be done).

Thanks to smartphones we have very tiny and cheap fingerprint sensors, and soon retina scanner chips that can substitute any seed/key...

9 minutes ago, tulo said:

Thanks to smartphones we have very tiny and cheap fingerprint sensors, and soon retina scanner chips that can substitute any seed/key...

One way of doing it.
Good idea !

Flush Hardware Wallets.
That is, if you do not live your life inside a Mission Impossible Movie :D

Edited by zenkert

4 minutes ago, tulo said:

When someone steals your seed/key, do you plan to have your retina and fingers surgically replaced?

Biometric data can be used instead of usernames, not instead of "passwords".

1 minute ago, T8493 said:

When someone steals your seed/key, do you plan to have your retina and fingers surgically replaced?

Biometric data can be used instead of usernames, not instead of "passwords".

I didn't get it...why can't they be used as "password"? It's what they are doing now with phones.

In fact.
After reading the book - The Code Breakers.
Nothing is in fact Secure.
Any Code created by Humans or Computers can be Cracked, by Humans or Computers.
The bottom Line here is Time, when Cracked.

7 minutes ago, TiffanyHayden said:

I need a secure hardware wallet for the secure mobile app that I want...

Cheers

20 minutes ago, tulo said:

I didn't get it...why can't they be used as "password"? It's what they are doing now with phones.

There is always an usability <-> security trade-off when you deal with authentication mechanisms.

Fingerprints are not very good passwords:

• they can be stolen easily,
  •  you can't change them after they were compromised,
  • they can be easily "guessed" (the probability of a fingerprint matching on Apple TouchID is 1:50000 - the probability of guessing long passphrases is several orders of magnitude smaller).

EDIT: Biometric data can be used as a second factor when you authenticate and authorize users. But they can't be used solely instead of a password.

So comparing what you ask for, with the ability to drive a Car, TiffanyHayden.

1. You have to have a Car.
2. You have to have a Key to open the Car Doors.
3. You have to have another Key to Start the Enginge.
4. And you also need another Key to control the Steering Wheel.
5. Finally you need a Key to control the Pedals in the Car.

Otherwise, you will get nowhere...

Right? :beach:

Edited by zenkert

28 minutes ago, T8493 said:

they can be easily "guessed" (the probability of a fingerprint matching on Apple TouchID is 1:50000 - the probability of guessing long passphrases is several orders of magnitude smaller).

Well, actually nano S uses a 4 digit pin and you have up to 3 trials. So it's 3/10.000 chance of getting the right pin. With a higher precision fingerprint sensor you can have better results and with retina scan even better...

6 minutes ago, tulo said:

Well, actually nano S uses a 4 digit pin and you have up to 3 trials. So it's 3/10.000 chance of getting the right pin. With a higher precision fingerprint sensor you can have better results and with retina scan even better...

This PIN is just one factor in authentication. Another factor is physical possession of device.

However, you claimed biometric data could replace "any seed/key"...